Sunday, March 23, 2008

And Rabbi Adlerstein Responds... Sort Of...

So, Rabbi Aderstein did sort of respond to my question about "rabbi" Don Segal being "beyond the pale:"

I don’t know anyone who speaks for “mainstream” Judaism. I don’t even know what the term means anymore. If you mean the more RW elements of the yeshiva world, Yated would be a better indicator that an isolated voice here or there who turned out to be the exception that proved the rule.

My own view on any such statement (and I would exercise the usual caution before assuming the accuracy of any media reports)? Clearly and unequivocally beneath contempt.

Comment by Yitzchok Adlerstein.
Hmm. Do you see a real response here? I sure don't. Basically, Rabbi Adlerstein pretended not to believe "rabbi" Segal had made his comments, or at least exhorted readers not believe everything we read. And, suddenly, he doesn't know what "mainstream" Judaism might be. Interesting. I mean, according to his beyond the pale articles (see links below), isn't ANYONE from middle right to far flung fascist right within "the pale?" At least that's what he seemed to imply when he wrote those articles. Has he changed his mind? I also found it interesting that he mentioned the Yated, which, for once, actually spoke out AGAINST "rabbi" Segal's idiot remarks about the Merkaz Harav Massacre.

Rabbi Adlerstein did, however, provide some lovely apologetics and did avoid the issue. So, I asked again:
With all due respect, Rabbi Adlerstein, I’m sure you’ve read this. Apparently, Rabbi Segal is a major figure in the Yeshiva world. Yet to say what he said was indeed beneath contempt. And even the YATED denounced this statement. I’m just curious why, since this is such a off-the-wall statement, why Rabbi Segal wouldn’t be considered “beyond the pale.” This is no more a correct thing to say than a Reform Jew claiming Torah is man-written and not in any way from Hashem. So, again, why is Rabbi Segal not “Beyond the Pale?” Is it because he’s considered Orthodox? How is a statement like this NOT “beyond the pale?”
Well, for now my more direct question is still awaiting moderation, and there has, so far, been no response. We'll see.

My wife thinks, probably correctly, that Rabbi Adlerstein totally regrets posting his beyond the pale article and its follow-up...

No comments: