Friday, June 01, 2007

SNIFF!!!

Ok. For those of you who don't know me, there is something very important about me to know: I LOVE Science Fiction. Not all of it, and in fact I'm not so much into more "classic" Sci Fi, like Heinlein or Niven. I'm more a Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate fan.

And now, I'm very sad! Not only are they ending one of my favorite shows, Stargate SG-1 in the next few weeks:(, though there will be at least a pair of movies come this fall:), now I've found out they are ending another really good Sci Fi show, a remake of a really campy show from the late 1970s: Battlestar Galactica. Now, the original was a bit of a ripoff of Star Wars (loved it nevertheless...), but the remake, which began with a four hour miniseries in 2003, has been incredible, gritty, and very, very human.

Fortunately, knowing the show will end next season, by choice of its producers, not the network that airs it, I hope the producers create a really great last season and series finale.

As for Star Wars, the franchise just celebrated its 30th anniversary. I was four years old when I first went to see the original at the Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, and keeping true to that tradition, I've seen every episode but Episode Three (since they didn't screen at the Chinese) at the Mann's Chinese.

Here's hoping for another great thirty years (even though episodes 1, 2, and 3, weren't all that great).

1 comment:

smoo said...

You just killed me. I didn't know they were ending Galactica. I think it was so incredibly done (making the machines the more spiritual, and the humans more pagan etc.)

It's a shame especially since I had such an upbeat post on the series at: http://shmuzings.blogspot.com/2006/10/not-your-childhood-battlestar.html