Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This Actually Happened to Me at a Kosher Store Where I Live...

This happened when I was relatively new in town. Coming from LA, I was pretty used to taking care of all my kosher needs at one store, like Pico Glatt Mart, or Glatt Mart before it burned to the ground. So I walk into this store soon after I moved to the Midwest. They carried everything. Baked goods. frozen stuff, dairy, snacks, deli, and prepared food. I looked all over the store for fresh poultry and meat, but could find nothing. I asked the person at the register where the meat and poultry was located. She said they didn't carry that. I said, "Why not? You carry everything else!" And she replied, "Well, what do you want? We're just a bakery, you know..." I stopped shopping there completely when I walked in with my then four-month-old daughter intending to buy some deli meats. The owner of the store was behind the counter smoking a cigarette over the food. He looked at me and my daughter and asked, quite gruffly, what he could do for me. I told him nothing, never mind, because I refuse to buy any food from a store because of the smoking. The guy gave me a dirty look as I left, and I haven't been back since then. Ick. How do you smoke in a store where people come in with babies? Oh, by the way, it's illegal here to do so and I did report him to the County Health Department. I later heard they actually came to inspect and that he did get in trouble. Serves him right for smoking around children.

No comments: