Friday, July 25, 2008

Obama Davens at the Kotel - Let's Invade His Privacy!

Barack Obama DID end up paying a visit to the Kotel early Thursday morning, and he put a note in the Wall.

Now, these notes are kind of private, and reading is just not right, and I'm kind of surprised someone actually went and removed the note from the wall and leaked it to the press. Turns out it was a Yeshiva student who did it, which is even worse. It's called a Chilul Hashem.

The note was published in the Israeli Ma'ariv newspaper. It should not have been published. I hope this doesn't ruin Jewish relations with Barack Obama. He's an amazing person, and while he can expect some invasion of his privacy due to his fame, taking a note he wrote out of the Wall, a private note between him and God, is just wrong and, personally, I condemn this action in the strongest possible terms.

6 comments:

Kylopod said...

I agree.

Just one thing: what did the note say?

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Nice. You can find it online. It was all over the news services earlier today. Just google obama note western wall or something like that.

Have a great Shabbos.

Kylopod said...

It's pretty innocuous. Even beautiful. I somehow can't imagine Hillary writing something like this. What did they think he would write, "God help me become president and declare jihad against the U.S." or something?

If they were sneakier, they'd have invented a note and claimed Obama wrote it.

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

I don't disagree. It was very beautiful. But it was also NO ONE'S business.

I'm sure he figured someone was going to pull that, though.

Rafi G. said...

I was disgusted by it as well.

But then I wondered if it is possible that Obama being a politician ensured, for pr purposes, that it would be extracted and punlicized. Is it possible?

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

I doubt that. McCain, I believe would do something like that. I don't think Obama tried to ensure it would happen, though he probably knew it would, which is why there's nothing really personal in the note.