Wednesday, May 16, 2007

So Much For Intelligent Conversation

Well, I decided to stop posting comments on other blogs. Not because I don't like what the other blogs, like DovBear and Emes Ve'Emuna have to say (though I don't necessarily agree with what they say all the time). I love their stuff, even when I disagree, mainly because it's usually presented intelligently and with forethought.

I stopped commenting because, while there are moderate people from both sides whom I respect, the extreme nut jobs, on both ends of the spectrum, but especially at the Right end of the spectrum (i.e. RWNJs - Right Wing Nut Jobs) yell and scream at each other, dominate the threads, and basically bring them to a low level of intelligence.

My goal when I started blogging, both reading and writing, was to find an intelligent forum in which to express views and perhaps find some answers and solutions to the many questions I've raised. I've been fortunate in making a connection with both Rabbi Maryles of Emes Ve'Emuna and DovBear and being able to discuss issues with them and even guest post on DovBear, which was fun, and quite an honor.

I was hoping, when I started blogging, that I would be able to have intelligent conversations with intelligent people, and, as I've said, perhaps come up with answers and solutions. Instead, I found screaming, especially from the RWNJs, essentially Bible Thumpers who cannot and will not think for themselves and swallow anything someone who thinks is greater than them without question or thought. I found this to be quite distasteful. Unfortunately, even I found myself sucked into these yelling matches, especially with people identifying themselves as Ed, Enforcer (what a sad ID - since when does Yiddishkeit have to be "enforced?), and Meishiv K'Halacha (who apparently believes himself to be the blog world's leading halachic authority).

So, I decided to stop. Maybe at some point I'll find a forum where the very pertinent questions many of us have been raising can be discussed without the RWNJs, or even the LWNJs (Left Wing Nut Jobs) screaming from both ends of the spectrum and drowning out everyone in between.

Now, I'll certainly make a comment when I really feel a need to say something about the original post, but unless I find intelligent conversation without the Bible Thumping, I'll pretty much keep to myself to avoid being brought down to the level of the RWNJs and LWNJs.

7 comments:

Rafi G. said...

I agree. That is why i do not comment on similar boards much, except on occassion. Oftentimes the whole post gets hijacked by the nuts fuighting about the same stupid thing over and over again..

Orthonomics said...

Agreed. I basically will leave no more than one comment on Harry's blog and don't want drawn into an endless and seemingly pointless yelling match.

It is a real shame because I think the internet provides a fantastic forum to exchange ideas that need to be exchanged.

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Yeah, if people wanted to be intelligent...

Baal Habos said...

Bad approach, IMHO. Especially if you want to build up your blog. If you don't comment on blogs, no one knows you're around. Also, do unto others as you would do unto them. I presume you want people to comment on your blog, then you should return the favor. If not it will all die out. (And there's no need to comment on my blog, it's closed, so this is Mussar Lishmah).

Rafi G. said...

I have found that that is not really true. Yes, comenting is necessary to get yourself some exposure, but the big bloggers, on whose sites the problem am kshe oref describes, they do not comment on other people's blogs. so it is not a matter of reciprocating...

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

I agree with Rafi. I did not notice an increase in traffic on my blog when I was commenting on the bigger blogs.

Rafi G. said...

the increase comes from commenting on smaller blogs and picking up readers from each other.. the readers on the big blogs stay there.