Sunday, March 28, 2010

Matzas Mitzvah...

Today I had the amazing and very rare (at least for me) opportunity to not only participate in the making of matza mitzvah, but in getting to take quite a bit of it home with me. My chavrusa this morning told me a certain other rabbi who teaches at the school was going to be baking not only shmura matza, but SOFT, pita-like shmura matza, the type the Teimanim eat, the type that quite likely was what the Jews ate coming out of Egypt and through much of history (as we know, the constipatory cracker was Ashkenazim are forced to ingest on a yearly basis is simply NOT what the Jews ate in the Beit HaMikdash as the Matza then was a wrap, like Laffa bread).

The experience was amazing and very spiritual. I had a fantastic time, I got to shmooze about many topics with the rabbi, including getting some real chizuk about Yiddishkeit, and best of all, I get, for the first time in my life this year for the Sedarim, to eat Matzas Mitzvah. I can't wait. What a Pesach. I'm really very excited, for the first time in a long time, to go into Pesach this year. Thanks to my chavrusa for sending me to this experience, and to Rabbi U. for making it so special.

No comments: