Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Were the Jedi Yeshivish?

Well, let's see. They wore their uniform and walked around with complete arrogance. They were completely inflexible in their ways. They couldn't see disaster looming right in front of them. They wouldn't listen to the voice of reason that times they were 'a changin' (Qui-Gon), and they were manipulative to the nth degree, especially when it came to Anakin.

I'd say, yeah, that sounds pretty Yeshivish/Chareidi to me.

The Yeshivish/Chareidi world is crashing in on itself. They are becoming more and more a fringe segment of the Jewish nation. Much of what they do and how they act is no more Frum than how Reform Jews act. Neither acts according to Halacha. Chareidim/Yeshivish people hate normative/Centrist/Modern Orthodox Judaism and does not see it as kosher Judaism. They spew hateful slanders at anyone not like them. This is not right. If they are secure in their faith, they needn't spew at others, and if they are insecure, which, I suspect, is what is really going on, they need to figure out why and fix it.

That's all. Short one this time.

Next: Rabbi Natan Slifkin

6 comments:

Esther said...

In theory, we are striving to bring all Jews toward observance. In practice, that would mean bringing people in the comminity who don't fit the mold. Better to close off and be exclusive, but of course still criticize those who aren't observant...If I understand correctly, this was the Jedi's problem as well. They should have been interested in bringing in anyone who had the abilities, but instead wanted to remain an elite group.

Anonymous said...

Any chance we can get a post outlining the POSITIVE aspects of yeshivish Judaism? There are plenty. I'm against the same negative stuff in yeshivish Judaism that you are, but our movement (Modern Orthodoxy) has its issues too. Instead of focusing on the negatives though, let's look at what's GOOD about each flavor of Judaism. If you want a Modern Orthodox Jew to write a guest post for you on the GOOD aspects of yeshivish Judaism, I'm your woman. As long as you don't call me yeshivish. Because saying a movement has good aspects doesn't necessarily make you part of that movement. :)

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Me Said...

Do I know you?:)

Esther said...

I think "ME" is the new mommy of two adorable kiddies! Am I right?

Anonymous said...

you got it!! I figured you'd figure out who I was. Just being obnoxious by calling myself "me". There's a Seinfeld episode where Jerry's girlfriend keeps calling him and saying "it's me" and he doesn't know who it is. Anyway.... positive post coming next? :)

Anonymous said...

hey it cut off my name--- the end was supposed to say auntie heather. :)